BeOS browsing support is now probably at its worst level ever, more or less. The TLS Apocalypse , whereby the majority of secured websites dropped support for less than TLS1.2 has happened; and with most websites now required a secure session to use at all times, this means there's very little you can access with any browsers, including nearly all download sites should someone create a working browser. Even BeBytes is out of reach. BeOS was never flush with browser options. On x86 you had: * Firefox or Mozilla Seamonkey, last updated for Firefox 3 / Seamonkey 1.9 of 2006 * Opera 3.6 of 1999 * NetPositive 2.2, included in the OS so theoretically from 2000 but with standards support more like 1996 * Netsurf 2, more updated but quite behind the others in capabilities There was also a beta Net+ "3", older than 2.2, with some very basic JavaScript support, and the otherwise identical Net+ in Dano, which had ssleay (a predecessor of OpenSSL) instead of licenced RSA SSL code As...
So the Intel 1000 card is marginally too new to work, the Realtek 1000 PCI card has a known PCI ID bug that identifies it as an 8129 that I'm not even going to test the BeOS 8169 driver for, and the 10/100 Realtek cards are all newer, cost reduced chips and not "real" 8139s either. So instead I tried another identical Broadcom card - with identical problems So instead instead I reset the BIOS settings to default (except for then reinstated the SATA controller changes); and got a fully working network card again. Seperate to that, looking at the SATA settings, its clear that it will only emulate one IDE controller if using the combined mode as I am now. I do think that I'm now stuck using one SATA port and one port on the IDE controller; meaning I need to find an IDE DVD burner (something I had tens of in the past) and not try my SATA BD-RE drive.
Lets ignore that Zeta's ever existence was quite odd! I recently recovered a HP xw4600 workstation from the WEEE cage in work (well, I just didn't put it in instead) with the intention of trying to beat BeOS R5 on to it. This machine is from 2009, which is very new for R5, but many of us were still using R5 in 2006 on contemporary hardware so its not too much of a stretch. But R5 definitely won't work out of the box - SSE2 processors seem to cause some trouble that requires kernel patching, the dual 3Ghz CPUs will cause severe clock problems without a further fiddling; and the 4GB of RAM will stop booting without a hacked bootloader to limit visible RAM. And I sort of need a decently working BeOS system to actually build such an image from in the first place. So, to Zeta. I've got a "legit" - as in its a real CD - copy of this which I was given by magnussoft in return for building VLC for Zeta; but I can't find it. ISOs are not hard to find. Its from 200...
Comments
Post a Comment